Awake during Rhinoplasty - HEY MIKIE

Friday 5 February 2016

Awake during Rhinoplasty


Not for vanity. For correction. Although I consider it semi-vain because I had a surgery that resulted to what doctors would call acceptable but that's not the point. I know I'm not making any sense right now so let me just make it clear a lil bit. I had a cleft lip surgery way back when I was maybe 4 months old. I didn't have any follow-up surgery because my doctor made like all the surgery needed at once. I think. I wish I could show you pictures but I can't find one to share so...

SURGERY: It was an out-patient operation that started around 8am and ended 11am. My mom and I was there at around 7. The nurse handed me a consent form, filled that out, handed it back to the nurse, and the nurse already called me into the changing room to get dressed. So my mind was like not prepared because I thought I'd be with mama a little longer but anyways. I was actually consious during that time (as planned) and I know what's up. I believe that there are five people in the operating room. I was awake but I couldn't see because the doctor ordered a nurse to prep my face with povidine iodine and alcohol so after she did that, even though how hard I try, It's kind of difficult for me to open my eyes because some liquid dried in my lid or something. Anyways, inside that little room (according to my other senses) were two nurses, a medical intern, the surgeon, and myself. The doctor was actually very specific and would do things as discussed. First things first, anesthesia. Probably the worst part. And we begin. I remember feeling the pain at the beginning so I told him that and he was like, "more, more!" He told me that I shouldn't be feeling any pain so he kind of used up all that he prepared. I had gore-tex implant for my bridge and he harvested some cartilage at the back of my ears to enhance the tip of my nose. He was actually about to skip the ear cartilage part but after fitting in the implant several times and probably mending it because I hear him ask for knife each time IDK, he was like, "I do really need some cartilage." He then did his thing and got what he wanted. But before putting that, he was like, "rasp" and then goodness gracious he filed the sides of my nose. I mean, I couldn't really feel the pain per se but you know, as he was doing it, my head was kind of dancing with the thing. My only worry was my eyes to be honest. I was really paranoid that he would hit my eyeballs. But anyhow. He told me that he should actually supposed to fracture the bones with hammer and chisel but since I was awake, not possible so yeah. When he was already stitching it all up, I probably felt the suture needle thrice. It was not pretty. I remember feeling the pain again and the doctor was like, "can you feel it? " and I was like "yeah" and he was like, "we're almost done." good lord. After the stitches were done, he then said he would just tape it and would not "cement". I don't know why. He also placed a cotton ball inside my ear and specifically asked me not to take it off until our next appointment to prevent hematoma. After that, the nurse asked me if I was dizzy and because I was really okay, I got off the OR after maybe 10 minutes. 

DAY 2: Bruised. It was the only day I was by the way. Amazing. No pain at all but just to make sure, I took Mefenamic Acid for three days starting the day of surgery. 

DAY 5: Tapes and stitches removed. Man, it was brutal. I was tearing because in order for him to rip off the stitches, he kind of pulled it away from my skin so he wouldn't cut it. Gets? Man, it was fresh that time so that really hurt. He then placed new tapes to hasten the recovery. 

Those are the eventful days so far. Will update you soon! It's still kind of swollen as of this writing so yeah. Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your nose job experience. This is not an easy one to share in public. I commend you for it.

    Rhinoplasty surgery Philippines

    ReplyDelete